That's it, you've defined your style every day. You master your basics and have some strong pieces to mark your looks. However, certain situations still make you hesitate: more formal occasions ...
As such, if there is a moment when you do not want to crash because of your look, it is a job interview in the company of your dreams.
Whether you are young graduates or seniors, whatever your profession, we will see together the rules and the outfits that fly to be a stylish man ... even a tie.
DRESSING FOR A HIRING INTERVIEW: THE GOLDEN RULES
Starting a recruitment process with an interview is like winning the date of your dreams: you must be as natural as possible despite the colossal challenges.
Does it seem complicated? Rest assured: it's easier than it seems, with a good frame of mind and some demystifications. The impression you want to give off is that of your mastery, combined with natural ease. All with pleasure.
So to get started, here are the basic rules for holding a job interview:
- It must consist of at least the following elements: pants, a jacket, a shirt, a belt and leather shoes.
- Prefer basic colors : navy blue, gray and white for clothing, dark brown for shoes and belt. Avoid the dark ...
- We dress well without doing too much: the saying "Less is more " is also essential in maintenance. I recognize the cachet of the sprezzatura of Piti Uomo, but reserve your large-plaid jackets for social evenings. At best, you can bet on well-worked textures or very discreet patterns.
- Your dress code must correspond to the environment you want to integrate : suit and tie for office jobs, casual chic for jobs related to creation ... In the same spirit, think about the culture of the company.
- However, dress a notch above the type of outfit you wear at work. Put on your best suit, your prettiest jacket or freeze your shoes. In short, be on your 31st: today, you are showing your potential to someone important!
- Clothes that fit you, it rhymes with retouching. I was the first to balk: it costs more and we have to wait before enjoying it. However, that considerably raises the level of an outfit: so think about adjusting the height of the sleeves and the hem of the pants,cut and fit should be perfect.
I end this list with an important point: in order to be comfortable, wear your outfit several times before your interview. A person putting on their clothes for the first time is often in an uncomfortable position: it can be felt and it can be seen.
The only way to avoid it is to get used to your clothes, by wearing them five or six times before: to you on weekends in costume.
Beyond these basic rules, we can get to the heart of the matter.
FORMAL MAINTENANCE: PUT ON THE TIE COSTUME
I chose here to develop two levels of outfit. You will therefore find an outfit for beginners and one for experienced workers. It depends of course on your budget and your experience.
THE CASE OF THE YOUNG GRADUATE
Are you applying to be in an office position? This outfit is for you. Accountants, engineers, salespeople ... you can go for it.
This look has been designed for maximum versatility.
THE IDEAL OUTFIT FOR AN EXPERIENCED PROFESSIONAL
You are in management or an expert in office functions: you have been working for several years and you have good responsibilities.
Your recruitment contacts are part of the company's management committee and you are running for prestigious positions. The, your outfits should be boosted to match your ambitions.
Concretely, we will remain on the same basis as the first option, relying on more worked materials.
THE OPTIONAL BELT
For once, opinions diverge. Some consider it compulsory while for others, a suit of your size does not need a belt anyway.
If you choose to wear one, its color should be matched to the shoes. You can match the color of your socks to either the shoes or the costume.
UPDATE ON ACCESSORIES
You have to know your environment. To gauge how much people are more or less fond of coquetry, if an outfit that sends a little prestige can be perceived as rewarding or, on the contrary, pretentious. From there, we place the cursor between "austerity" and "originality" accordingly.
No risk will be taken with a tie, belt and possibly a clutch. A notch above, we can imagine a tie clip and cufflinks. As for the buttonhole flower and other pins, they are irrelevant.
BUY A BEAUTIFUL COSTUME
Choose a navy blue or dark gray suit. If you have to opt for patterns, choose them discreet.
Black is an aging color, which presents a too rigid image of you and can be considered as reserved for the management of the company.
FIND A BEAUTIFUL SHIRT
White is a safe bet for interviews. Otherwise, we can also imagine a pale blue model. Stay classic!
CHOOSE A SOBER AND ELEGANT TIE
Finally, a tie is made of silk or wool, use of plastic is prohibited! Do not hesitate to look for various textures: knitted silk, wool, or grenadine silk.
WEAR REAL LEATHER SHOES
Prefer dark brown shoes, they are the most versatile with the costumes mentioned above. For the confirmed, you can ice your shoes to bring a touch of refinement much appreciated.
INTERVIEW IN AN INFORMAL STRUCTURE: PREFER THE CASUAL CHIC
This last look is made for those who have interviews in reputable informal structures: you can dress like this when you present yourself in a web, graphic design or communication company. Likewise in most start-ups, whose spirit is deliberately more relaxed.
Of course, some structures are even more permissive. I have in mind the example of a friend recruited from Adidas; he wore only sneakers for maintenance.
That said, this look is a sure bet, which has the advantage of comprising only parts which are easy to master. You can therefore easily decline it ... Besides:
- If you are using the jacket of one of your suits, make sure it does not fall too low.
- You can allow yourself shirts with original collars or patterns - to some extent, this is not the time to take out the Hawaiian shirt either.
- Your pants can be of several shapes. You can choose raw jeans, good quality chinos or woolen pants. Impeccable ironing required.
HOW TO DRESS FOR AN INTERVIEW ? THE SECRET TECHNIQUE!
With all of these tips in mind, you should be able to adopt the ideal outfit for maintenance! Only one question remains: how to choose your look if you do not know how you dress in the business of your dreams?
This question comes up often, mainly for young graduates entering the job market. I will give you my tip to be sure of you!
A few days before your interview, dress in casual chic and go to the reception of the company.
Introduce yourself with a big smile, say that you are having an interview with Mr. X soon, that you really want to do well and ask how the other candidates he receives dress.
Amazing tip, right? Joking aside it's as simple as that and this method brings you several advantages:
- The sympathy of the reception people. The day of your interview, your interlocutor will have heard of this serious candidate who wants to prepare his interview as well as possible.
- You get to know the people and the environment of this business, which will reduce the surprise effect on the day of the interview, and therefore the potential jitters.
- You will see people who work in this environment. This will give you a lot of information on the stress level, the fun and the behavior of the employees.
- Finally, the people at reception often have a lot of informal information and love to chat: it may well be that you are given two or three interesting leads, to develop in an interview later.
For the more timid, you can call the switchboard to ask the question, but you will be depriving yourself of many of the advantages mentioned above.
THE FINAL WORD...
You will understand, the first step is to know the environment (and culture) of the company where we apply.
If it is a "formal" structure, a certain neutrality will be required. You can however rely on the effects of materials and textures to gain relief.
In the case of a more casual box, you have more choice. You take almost no risk in casual chic even if, depending on the company, we can imagine other styles.
If in doubt, do not hesitate to inquire directly at the source, or to scrutinize the going and coming in front of the office.
In any case, give the "best version of your look". Whether you like it or not, an interview remains a certain form of seduction ... To stay, it's up to you.
It only remains for you to wish you good luck!